How to care for an orchid!

If you have ever had a consultation with me you will know that on my windowsill I have a beautiful orchid. It has been in flower since last November. But all good things come to an end and over the last month the flowers on it have started to die and there is now a new shoot spurting up offering the promise of more new flowers again. I am often asked 'is it real?' Yes it is, quickly followed by 'how do you look after it because mine always die?'

So here is my easy guide to looking after orchids (well not really my guide more based on what my wife has told me to because she is the one in our house with green fingers - I am just the hired help!)

  • Find a position they like - mine is on a north facing windowsill and it loves it
  • Don't over water - I water mine once a week with half a cup of water
  • Prune dead flower spikes off at the bottom of the shoot above a bud
  • Don't throw them away when the flowers drop off, keep them and wait till you get another flower spike

Prune the flower spike off right at the bottom of the spike.


Here is a close up showing where to prune - at the bottom, above a bud


Easy, peasy and if I can keep it alive, anyone can!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stroke Connect

Welcome to Dr Siobhan Waldron

Kings Medical Practice - Privacy Notice