Dr Brown is a jolly good Fellow - and that's official!

On Friday, I went to the Royal College of General Practitioners new London headquarters to be presented with the Fellowship of the College. A Fellowship is how the College recognises the achievements of its members and is a great accolade. I felt very proud to be honoured in such a way. At the College I donned the Fellows gown and was presented with a certificate by the President.


Interestingly, there were three other David Browns, but my citation was all about my work as a GP Trainer, GP Training Programme Director and sitting on the board of Health Education Yorkshire and Humber and NHS Wakefield CCG.

However, my achievement is not mine alone and I would not be able to do what I do with out the support of my wife, Sue and colleagues at Kings Medical Practice, Normanton. Sue has always supported me (although she claims to be long suffering). Sue is the rock from which all my achievements in my work have sprung.

In the practice we have always supported doctors doing other clinical work and my training work and membership of the two boards is 100% supported by my partners. They might not agree with the direction of travel but they are fully behind my involvement in the work. All the doctors in the practice work flexibly so if someone wants to go to a meeting or training event, it is usually possible to get someone to swop and cover their work, with no fuss. The culture is that we just do it and get on with it. Without this I would not have been able to achieve what I have done. Our practice staff are fundamental to this and happily ensure that our time out of the practice is on all our rotas and I do occasionally double book myself our office staff cheerfully ring up patients to rearrange appointments.

I would also like to pay tribute my patients. I have been a GP in Normanton since 1984 and doing so many other things means that I can only do six full surgeries a week. Patients who I have developed a long relationship with moan a little bit about not being able to see me as soon as they want to but without my patients understanding I would not have been able to do the important work that I have done.

And finally I would like to thank the doctors who nominated and supported me for the award of Fellowship. They described me in such glowing terms I thought they had the wrong doctor, but the award of Fellowship means that my colleagues think that I really am a jolly good Fellow!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stroke Connect

Welcome to Dr Siobhan Waldron

Kings Medical Practice - Privacy Notice